Date:      Sun, 13 Feb 2005 06:52:38 +0000
From:      Jason Henson <jason@ec.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   malloc vs ptmalloc2

I saw on a few of the lists here how linux uses ptmalloc2 and it =20
outperforms bsd's malloc.  I tried to do some research into it and =20
found PHK's pdf on it and it seems bsd's malloc was ment to be ok in =20
most every situation. Because of this it shines when primary storage is =20
seriously over committed.

So here is my question, I use FreeBSD as a desktop and never ever use =20
swap(I just don't stress my system enough?), can I use ptmalloc in =20
stead of malloc?  Like defining SCHED_ULE instead of SCHED_4BSD.  Can =20
the system malloc be switched out? =20