Date:      Thu, 27 Dec 2001 15:33:04 -0800
From:      Joe Kelsey <joe@zircon.seattle.wa.us>
To:        Sam Drinkard <sam@vortex.wa4phy.net>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   What a Can of Worms!

Sam Drinkard writes:
 > I have to say it, since I asked the question here.. compiling gnome
 > and all it's bits is not for the faint-hearted.  I've been running
 > makes for about 3 hours now, and it's still not done.  Had to start
 > clean once, because of a lib dependency but now all seems to be
 > working OK.. hopefully I'll know soon if the whole mess works again.

Upgrading gnome is fraught with errors, due to inadequate port
dependencies.  The last time I tried, I ended up installing portupgrade
first, then using portupgrade to simplify the process.  It still takes
forever, but at least I finally got a clean install for gnome 1.4.

Go to /usr/ports/sysutile/portupgrade and install it.  It really is a
great tool to use for making ports.

/Joe