Date:      Wed, 03 Nov 1999 09:42:23 -0700
From:      Ben Schumacher <bs@cyalchemy.com>
To:        Drew C Morone <drew@j51.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: natd redirect_port question

At 10:20 AM 11/3/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I've got a firewall setup using natd and ipfw. It's working fine, but I
>want to open a port and redirect it to the telnet port on a solaris 2.6
>machine inside my firewall. I have the following line in my rc.conf
>file:
>natd_flags="-l -redirect_port tcp 192.168.0.5:telnet 6666"
>
>192.168.0.5 being the solaris box.
>When I telnet to the firewall box at port 6666, it just sits there, then
>times out.
>
>I can telnet to the solaris box from inside the firewall, and I can set
>up a redirect to the ftp port on a windows box, and it works fine:
>
>natd_flags="-l -redirect_port tcp 192.168.0.4:ftp 7777"
>
>Why would it time out like that on the solaris box?

Drew-

I'm not 100% certain, but this sounds like a routing problem to me.  If I
was you, I would try the telnet again while doing a 'tcpdump' on the
outside interface of the FreeBSD box and also on the Solaris box.  My guess
is that the Solaris box is receiving the packets from the FreeBSD machine,
but isn't correctly routing them back.

If that's the case, you might need to look over your route tables on the
Solaris box.

Hope this helps,
- Ben Schumacher