Date:      Wed, 25 Mar 1998 23:55:58 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <ac199@hwcn.org>
To:        Sean Kelly <kelly@plutotech.com>
Cc:        nik@iii.co.uk, doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [REVIEW] Changes to the DocProj web pages

On Wed, 25 Mar 1998, Sean Kelly wrote:

> These new pages feel professional yet inviting.  I like them.

Yes.

> The only nits I have to pick are comprised of punctuation errors and
> typos: On the `docproj' page, the second paragraph uses "it's" when it
> should be "its".  (The paragraph after that one gets it right.)

Yes, and other things such as a farely interesting spelling of
fairly.  "have got commit privs" should probably be just "have
commit privs", and "Others haven't got ...": "Others don't
have", etc.  I'm sure it's possible to find lots of those such
things...  :-)

1)  Are we going to start using contractions again?  In a similar
vein, does "folks" translate well?  It sounds fine to me, but it
could be a bit dialect-specific, maybe?  <shrug>

2)  It would probably be nicer if the section on submitting info
to the doc. proj. were merged with the general section on
submitting things, already in the handbook.

3)  Obviously doc-set should say a couple things about the actual
purpose of the Faq and Handbook beyond just "they are
maintained".  :)

4)  So long as someone's willing to talk style, may I submit that
series such as "apple, job, and day" use a comma before the
"and".  This is probably not what many of the outmoded old-timers
were taught back in the day, but it's like totally way sexier.

5)  You sound a little optimistic about finding people willing to
mark-up submitted plain-text documents.  Would you like me to
point you to an aging PR submitting just such a plain-text
document?

[On that topic, what do people think of assigning doc-related PRs
to the freebsd-doc list (similar to what's done for the
freebsd-ports list)?  It seems that this is perhaps part of the
solution to our burgeoning PR list (eventually doing similar
things for freebsd-fs, etc.).]

--
 tIM...HOEk
OPTIMIZATION: the process of using many one-letter variables names