Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 2000 14:29:02 -0600
From:      Deborah Greenberg Lidl <dgl@BSDI.COM>
To:        Mark Ovens <marko@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Rasmus Kaj <kaj@raditex.se>, doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: <trademark> tag in the docs

On Wed, Aug 23, 2000 at 07:04:27PM +0100, Mark Ovens said:

> >  MO> In the Programmers Tools tutorial there are several uses of the
> >  MO> <trademark> tag but it appears not to work:
> >
> >  MO> 	    <trademark>MS-DOS</trademark>
> >
> >  MO> appears in the doc as:
> >
> >  MO> 	   MS-DOS&trade
> >
> > I'm assuming here that you're talking about generating HTML. Correct
> > me if I'm wrong.
>
> You are correct.

The problem is with the browser.  Navigator does not recognize &trade;
as valid.  View the tutorial --  or any code using &trade; -- in Internet
Explorer, Lynx, or an editor like HotMetal PRO.  Those tools all
render &trade; in an expected fashion like (TM) or a superscripted TM.

However, Navigator does recognize &#8482; and renders it as [tm].  Lynx
renders this code as (TM) and Internet Explorer renders it as a
superscripted TM.

To fix the DSSSL stylesheets, modify html/dbinline.dsl to use the code:
245c245
<       (make entity-ref name: "trade")))))
---
>       (make entity-ref name: "#8482")))))

This displays as expected in Navigator 4.74, Internet Explorer 5.0, and
Lynx 2.8.2rel1.

The W3C recommendation for character entity references in HTML 4 recognizes
trade for 8482.  Thus, I would argue that Navigator is broken and should
be fixed.  However, being practical, one could modify the freebsd.dsl
stylesheet to use 8482.

> >  MO> Also, shouldn't we really acknowledge trademarks, either by using the
> >  MO> "(TM)" symbol with each instance [ ... ]
> >
> > This would be what happens now, right?
>
> It was only in the Programming Guide; I couldn't find the trademark
> tag used anywhere else although trademarked words are used.
>
> Anyway, I changed (and committed) the Programmers Guide by removing
> the tag so, although I believe we should use it, it now looks correct
> in the HTML (Netscape) and is consistent with the rest of the docs.

Technically, to protect the tradmarks, you do want to acknowledge
trademarks every time they're used.  Practically, that tends to make
the page or screen look like it's been peppered with bugs from all of
the (R), (TM), and (SM) marks.

What I usually do is mark trademarks for my products on the cover / main
screen / title page.  Everything else gets acknowledged in the footnote
of the article, the legal notices page of the book, or an appendix
of the book.  Sometimes it's the blanket "All other brand or product
names are or may be trademarks of, and are used to identify products
and services of, their respective owners."  Other times, I acknowledge
the trademark and it's owner by name.

Fortunately, FreeBSD is a registered trademark, and all of the
browsers seem to recognize &reg; :-)

Cheers,
Debbie
--
Deborah Greenberg Lidl                       Toll free: 1.888.849.BSDi
dgl@bsdi.com                    BSDi             Phone: 1.301.765.7945