Date:      Mon, 9 Aug 1999 21:11:24 +1000 (EST)
From:      Rowan Crowe <rowan@sensation.net.au>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   problem with user level ppp, using multilink functionality

Hi all,

I seem to have come across a rather serious problem, I'm not sure whether
it's something in my setup or it's a bug in ppp.

I am using a very recent version downloaded today - ppp-990809.src.tar.gz.
Is this a day-to-day snapshot or have I just happened to come along when a
stable version has been released? I'm using the recent version as the one
supplied with 2.2.8R doesn't support multilink.

Anyway, the problem is that when running as a server (started with
'/usr/sbin/ppp -direct mp'), ppp doesn't seem to exit properly when
carrier is lost. There's nothing suggesting it actually detects the loss
of CD when I pull the (line) plug on the modem, and about 3 minutes later
it complains about the lack of response to LQR packets and declares the
bundle dead. However, the ppp task associated with that serial line
doesn't exit! It's still sitting there 20 minutes later, with 'who' still
showing up the login as if the modem was still connected. Meanwhile the
dialin line is just ringing out as obviously mgetty isn't running. To
regain control I have to log in via shell and kill off the ppp process.

This also happens if I kill -TERM the originating ppp (I presume this is a
graceful shutdown, with the originating end politely reporting it's about
to disconnect):

13285  ??  Is     0:00.01 /usr/sbin/ppp -direct mp
14815  ??  Ss     0:00.10 /usr/sbin/ppp -direct mp

System at both ends is running 2.2.8-RELEASE, here are the basic config
files...

<<<<client>>>>  'ppp -auto mp'

mp:
 set timeout 0
 set log phase chat
 set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \
          \"\" ATZ OK ATDT\\T TIMEOUT 45 CONNECT \"\" ogin: sbruns word: 12345"
 set redial 30+30-20 0
 set reconnect 30 5
 set login
 set ifaddr 203.20.114.195/0 10.0.0.2/0
 set authname ppp
 set authkey ppppassword
 set mrru 1500
 set enddisc label

 enable lqr
 accept lqr

 clone 1,2
 link deflink remove
 link 1,2 set mode ddial
 link 1 set phone "93291234"
 link 2 set phone "93291234"
 link 1 set device /dev/cuaa1
 link 2 set device /dev/cuaa2
 link 1 set speed 115200
 link 2 set speed 115200

<<<<server>>>>  'ppp -direct mp' from shell script run after normal login

mp:
 allow user sbruns
 allow mode direct
 set openmode active
 set timeout 0
 set log phase chat
 open

 set login
 set ifaddr 203.20.114.32/0 10.0.0.2/0
 set authname ppp
 set authkey ppppassword
 set mrru 1500
 set enddisc label

 enable lqr
 accept lqr

 clone 1,2
 link deflink remove

Note that I'm generally unfamiliar with user level PPP, so the basic
config is from the man page and I haven't started tweaking things yet. I
haven't bothered to set up PAP/CHAP because the chat script logs in via
the login/Password prompt before starting up ppp.

Thanks for any help.  :-(

Cheers.

--
Rowan Crowe                              http://www.rowan.sensation.net.au/