Date:      Mon, 23 Jun 1997 12:00:30 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Lars Fredriksen <lars@fredriks-1.pr.mcs.net>
Cc:        dyson@dyson.iquest.net, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP kernel hung...more info

Hi,

> Hi John,
> 	I just booted the SMP kernel and broke into the debugger when
> it got hung (after saying that all 2 cpus are online). Well it isn't
> actually the kernel per se that is hung. It is in the smp_idleloop.
>
> The problem is that one of the rc scripts is running swapon and it
> is hung - on wait channel 0xf0b60a00 (i'll try to find out what this
> is)
>
> I have 2 scsi controllers in my system; a 2940 and a 2944.
>
> Here is the config file:
>
> Anything here ring a bell??

first step is to get a kernel minimal running.  I've marked the things to NUKE
for this goal.  Once you get something that boots, start adding them back one
at
a time til you identify the problem driver/feature:

> options		PERFMON			#Pentium Pro performance counters
> options         MROUTING                # Multicast routing
> options		USER_LDT		#allow user-level control of i386 ldt
> options		"IBCS2"			#Run SCO stuff
> options         "AUTO_EOI_1"
> options		COMPAT_LINUX
> options		LINUX
> options		AHC_TAGENABLE
> options		AHC_SCBPAGING_ENABLE
> options		AHC_ALLOW_MEMIO

delete these for test kernel.

---
> # SuperMicro P6DNE:
> options                SMP_TIMER_NC            # 8254 NOT connected to APIC

I assume you are using a supermicro? which specific model?

---
> # psm: PS/2 mouse port [note: conflicts with sc0/vt0, thus "conflicts" keywd]
> device		psm0	at isa? port "IO_KBD" conflicts tty irq 12 vector psmintr

delete this for test kernel.  it has caused problems for some users in the
past.

---
> # Sound device drivers for Gus PnP Pro
> controller	snd0
>
> device          gus0     at isa? vector gusintr

delete this for test kernel.

--
Steve Passe	| powered by