Date:      Thu, 24 Sep 2009 00:33:51 +0100
From:      Bruce Cran <bruce@cran.org.uk>
To:        Tom Judge <tom@tomjudge.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USB Device identification in dmesg and usbconfig

On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 22:44:54 +0000
Tom Judge <tom@tomjudge.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been working on getting at least some support for the Function
> (F1-12) keys on my MS Natural 4000 keyboard. Here is the original PR
> on the subject: usb/116947.  My patch can be found here:
> http://svn.tomjudge.com/freebsd/patches/ms-natural-4000/usb-natural4000.patch
> and I have submitted an update to the PR.
>

> When I reboot into the kernel the quirk is detected correctly and the
> function keys work.
>
> However the device does not seem to be correctly identified here is
> the dmesg output:
>
> ugen2.3: <vendor 0x045e> at usbus2
> ukbd0: <vendor 0x045e product 0x00db, class 0/0, rev 2.00/1.73, addr
> 3> on usbus2
> kbd2 at ukbd0
> uhid0: <vendor 0x045e product 0x00db, class 0/0, rev 2.00/1.73, addr
> 3> on usbus2
>
> Here is usbconfig list output:
>
> ugen2.3: <product 0x00db vendor 0x045e> at usbus2, cfg=0 md=HOST
> spd=LOW (1.5Mbps) pwr=ON
>

> How do I get the output to match other devices like this:
>
> ugen2.4: <Microsoft> at usbus2
> ums0: <Microsoft Microsoft Optical Mouse with Ti, class 0/0, rev
> 2.00/1.20, addr 4> on usbus2
> ums0: 3 buttons and [XYZ] coordinates ID=17

I'm starting to suspect this is a bug in the USB code that Microsoft
devices use. I've seen this on two PCs now, both on 7.x and 8.0-RC1;
sometimes they'll identify properly by getting the strings out of the
device (e.g. "Microsoft 3-Button Mouse with IntelliEye(TM)") but most
of the time I'll just see the generic device and product IDs.

--
Bruce Cran