Date:      Fri, 27 Apr 2001 07:58:50 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Vincent D Murphy <murphyv@student.cs.ucc.ie>
Cc:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: secure-supfile ?

> Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 13:12:50 +0100
> From: Vincent D Murphy <murphyv@student.cs.ucc.ie>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> = Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG> [20010427 1254]:
> > Uhh, secure-supfile is gone over almost a year ago.
> >
> > Remove the SUPFILE1= line from your /etc/make.conf.
> >
> > I will fix src/etc/defaults/make.conf.
>
> just to confirm: i did
>
> cp /etc/defaults/make.conf /etc/make.conf
>
> a while back.  i can't remember why, but i think there is no file there
> by default and i needed one for some reason.

This is normal. The idea is NOT to copy the /etc/defaults files to
/etc. The idea is to place specific changes from defaults into a file
in /etc.

The /etc/defaults files contain the normal defaults for a great many
things and should not be modified. That way, should OS changes require
it, defaults can be changed easily (POLA).

Rules for files in /etc/defaults:
1. Don't ever modify these files!
2. Don't ever copy them into /etc
3. Should defaults need to be changed, create or edit the /etc file of
   the same name to contain just the items requiring non-default
   behavior.

If you do this, the odds of things failing after a system software
upgrade are substantially reduced.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)