Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 2023 15:39:37 +0100
From:      Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Docker

On Tue, 28 Mar 2023 16:04:11 +0200
Tomek CEDRO <tomek@cedro.info> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 28, 2023 at 4:01 PM Hosney Osman wrote:
> > Dears
> > we need to cooperate with docker organization to make official
> > documentation between FreeBSD and Docker
>
> Isn't Docker Linux only solution? FreeBSD provides Jails and Bhyve
> instead?

	Not really but effectively.

	Docker lives at a different level too jails and Bhyve it uses the
Linux equivalents (containers and vms of various kinds) but it's mostly
about being able to repeatably compose single function servers by stacking
overlay filesystems and link them together into a client/server stack,
although these days it is more common to use Kubernetes to manage the stack
deployment complete with load balancing, VPN connections, shared secret
generation ... all defined in a text file.

	In principal Docker could manage FreeBSD based stacks deploying them
to jails and be just like Linux Docker. The catch is that there is a *huge*
public library of docker images available which make it easy to set up
pretty much any stack you like ... under Linux. This library does not exist
for FreeBSD and playing catch up is not going to work, that boat has sailed.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>