Date:      Sat, 25 Aug 2012 03:40:43 -0400
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller23@insightbb.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 9.1-RC1 Available...

from Ken Menzel <kenfreebsd@icarz.com>:

> As I see no answered your real question. But I agree with them: yes you
> can still use csup or cvsup for releng_9 (stable 9).

> But as to your question, if you are switching to svn to try it out: In
> my experience I had to remove (rm -rf /usr/src) /usr/src or the old
> files remained. The checkout process did not update the existing files.
> But maybe I did something wrong.

> Tools other than cvs and cvsup are unaffected.  You can still use
> portsnap or make fetch in /usr/ports etc.

> Ken

This should help get me started.

I could even attempt to cover both bases with

cd /usr
mv src src-csup
mkdir src

and be ready to go with svn.

But since I could run csup again if needed/desired, this might be overkill, unless I want to compare the file formats.

It looks like it would be easier to keep track of revision number with svn than with csup.

If svn is going to be the main tool for keeping up to date with source, then subversion ought to become part of the base system.

I might some day want to try 10-current (HEAD) on a different partition, then csup will not work at all to get the source.

Tom