Date:      Mon, 1 Jan 2001 10:10:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Steve Drew" <sdrew@home.com>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/23505: processes die with SIGPROF, usually under heavy network load.

The following reply was made to PR kern/23505; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Steve Drew" <sdrew@home.com>
To: <freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org>, <sdrew@home.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2001 11:04:58 -0700

 Correction, it was actually kern_clock.c I modifed to prevent processes from
 being killed off.

 /usr/src/sys/kern >diff kern_clock.c kern_clock.c.orig
 224,225c224
 <                       printf("attempted to send SIGPROF to pid
 %d\n",p->p_pid)
 ;
 <                       /*psignal(p, SIGPROF); */
 ---
 >                       psignal(p, SIGPROF);

 After making this change about a week later the following hits was observed
 in the syslog

 /var/log/syslog.log:Dec 30 09:49:15 firewall /kernel: attempted to send
 SIGPROF to pid 55305
 /var/log/syslog.log:Dec 30 22:43:25 firewall /kernel: attempted to send
 SIGPROF to pid 64583
 /var/log/syslog.log:Dec 31 09:33:28 firewall /kernel: attempted to send
 SIGPROF to pid 50306

 Like I mentioned I have seen this bug on at least 4 different freebsd
 machines.

 There must be other people also having this problem and just not knowing why
 they have processes disappearing. It is very intermittent, in my case it
 took over a week and then I got these 3 hits.

 Steve Drew.