Date:      Thu, 31 Jul 1997 21:41:10 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Charles Mott <cmott@srv.net>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
Cc:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>, FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, ari.suutari@ps.carel.fi
Subject:   Re: NATD -use_sockets option question

On Fri, 1 Aug 1997, Brian Somers wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I have no enough experience with natd, so my question:
> >
> > What does the natd's -use_sockets option?
> >
> > `man natd' says:
> >
> > 	-use_sockets | -s
> > 		 Allocate a socket(2) in order to establish an FTP data or IRC
> > 		 DCC send connection.  This option uses more system resources,
> > 		 but guarantees successful connections when port numbers con-
> > 		 flict.
> >
> > But in alias.h I see:
> >
> > /* If PKT_ALIAS_USE_SOCKETS is set, then when partially specified
> > 	links (e.g. destination port and/or address is zero), the packet
> > 	aliasing engine will attempt to allocate a socket for the aliasing
> > 	port it chooses.  This will avoid interference with the host
> > 	machine.  Fully specified links do not require this.  */
> >
> > I don't undestand the {FTP data connection} and {partially specified links}
> > relationship. What is it? Please, explain.
>
> I think Charles is the best person to ask about this (cc'd).
>
> > TIA,
> > ---
> > Ruslan A. Ermilov	System Administrator
> > ru@ucb.crimea.ua	United Commercial Bank
> > +380-652-247 647	Simferopol, Crimea
>
> --
> Brian <brian@awfulhak.org>, <brian@freebsd.org>
>       <http://www.awfulhak.org>;
> Don't _EVER_ lose your sense of humour....

Ruslan,

For most users, the "use_sockets" option should be enabled (this is
the default).  There are certain cases when the FreeBSD machine is being
only as a router that it is not necessary.

I have written a (long) man page for the packet aliasing library which
attempts to explain the meaning of a "partially specified aliasing link"
in an appendix.  I sent this man page to the FreeBSD organization but I
don't know if it has been included into the -current source tree yet.

Charles Mott