Date:      Wed, 11 Oct 2000 08:58:13 -0400
From:      Tom Coughlan <coughlan@missioncriticallinux.com>
To:        dmarkh@cfl.rr.com
Cc:        Eric.Ayers@compgen.com, aic7xxx@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AHA 29160 adapter and clustering

Re. Automatic termination.  My reading of the documentation indicates
that auto termination enables the termination on a bus segment when
there is one cable plugged in to that segment on the module.  Auto
termination disables the termination when there are two cables plugged
in to a segment on the module.  When you want to attach the module to an
external SCSI bus, and you want to use external termination, then you
can not connect anything to the internal connector for that bus
segment.  I believe that in this situation auto termination will enable
the on-board termination, which is not what you want.

Eric:  I have found that I get CRC errors whenever I use the Adaptec
29160 on a multi-initiator bus with external termination.  I have tried
pass-through terminators and Y-cables, with several terminator types,
and gotten the same results.  I would love to hear from someone at
Adaptec on this.

I have found that all my troubles go away if I use the 29160's on-board
termination.  This is not an optimal cluster configuration, because a
host can not be removed and leave the SCSI bus operational, but it does
appear to be a work-around, for now.

There is one important note regarding the on-board termination: the
termination becomes disabled when the power to the module is removed, no
matter how it was set in the BIOS set-up utility.  This is not good for
a multi-initiator configuration.  You can solve this problem by
installing a jumper on the "TE" posts on the module.  This permanently
enables the termination, and overrides the BIOS setting.  (The jumpers
are conveniently described in the 39160 documentation, but not mentioned
in the 29160 documentation.)

--
Tom Coughlan
Mission Critical Linux