Date:      Tue, 07 Dec 1999 21:58:18 -0800
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Latest laptop recommendations

Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:

> There was at least one other Purify-like tool that was open to being
> ported; the drawback was simply getting enough customers that'd promise
> to buy it.

     That might be Insure++ (which is, I believe, already available for
Linux).  I evaluated it a few months back, and it was, for our
application at least, significantly slower than purify.  For us, it was
unusably slow.  I haven't seen the Linux version, and it might be much
better.

> >      Well, I'm using -current as of Dec. 2, +/- ~1 day.  I tried the OSS
> > drivers for -current just this morning, and I only got garbled sound out
> > of /dev/audio.
>
> Sorry; I knew that audio didn't work, but I didn't want to make any
> judgement about whose fault it was until after I've spoken to OSS.

     Oh, I most certainly am not trying to point any fingers.  In fact,
I'm impressed that any drivers for -current exist at all, given the
unstable, constantly-changing nature of -current.

> > [ I don't know if this could be causing problems, but the USB ifc, which
> >   I'm *not* using, is using the same IRQ as the sound ifc.
> >   Unfortunately, there seems to be no way (from the BIOS) to either
> >   disable the USB port (not that I'd want to) or change the IRQs used by
> >   the USB or sound devices.  ]
>
> That's correct, and I'm trying to find someone at Dell to bitch about it
> to.  OSS doesn't know how to share interrupts on FreeBSD at the moment
> either, making it somewhat worse.

     What's interesting is that my old Omnibook, which uses the same
kind of Phoenix BIOS (but *older*), and allows one to enable/disable the
USB and sound devices, as well as control their resources (port, IRQ,
etc.).

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@sr.hp.com