Date:      Fri, 20 Aug 1999 12:52:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
Cc:        bvermeul@blackstar.nl, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing FreeBSD on a Multia?

On Fri, 20 Aug 1999, Matthew Jacob wrote:

> Have to use a serial console. No support for TGA framebuffer.
> There's a bootstrap raw disk image in http://www.freebsd.org/~mjacob if
> you want to try dd'ing that from another OS onto a disk so you can get up
> and running quickly- although the serial console install seems to work
> pretty well.

From what I've recently learned, using a Multia is a Really Bad Idea.
Yes, they are cheap, but that's the ONLY good thing about them.  Both
David O'Brien and Peter Wemm were able to burn their's out just by doing
make worlds.  They are underpowered, overheated, undersized, but very
very cheap.  Ever wonder why?

You get what you pay for.  Doing it with the PC164* motherboards is
pretty comparable to building a PC from a good Intel motherboard, and
you'll have much better experiences in doing it.

chuckr@picnic.mat.net       | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic and jaunt, both FreeBSD-current.
(301) 220-2114              |