Date:      Mon, 13 Aug 2001 21:25:24 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@info.iet.unipi.it>
To:        Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
Cc:        PicoBSD List <freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: crunchgen issue ...

> libs /usr/obj/usr/src/usr.sbin/ntp/libntp/libntp.a
>
> that will sometimes work just fine; but sometimes, as in this
> case, it will fail because of that libntp.a backwards referencing
> symbols that are found in ntpdate.lo. All sorts of other problems

that is not a crunchgen problem, is poor coding of the library
itself, and there is nothing crunchgen can do about it
(i mean nothing that is not tightly related to the specific
misuse of the library).

ssh had a similar problem, and i had to patch it (in the picobsd/ssh port)
extensively to fix the problem and avoid having to include a replica
of the "library" for each binary that used it.

I suggest that you bite the bullet and try doing something
similar with ntp.

> The only proper place to link such private utility libraries would
> be in the partial link that produces the ntpdate.lo object.

unfortunately this causes replicas of the library to be
linked to each binary using it, which partly defeats the
purpose of crunchgen.

	cheers
	luigi