Date:      Sun, 01 Feb 1998 11:49:21 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Sean J. Schluntz" <schluntz@pinpt.com>
Cc:        "Mike Smith" <mike@smith.net.au>, "Sean J. Schluntz" <schluntz@clicknet.com>, "Goeringer, Michael" <goeringerm@keywest.ird.rl.af.mil>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ach! Slot 0, unfielded interrupt 0 (unbreakable loop)

> >Make sure pccardd is *NOT* running.  Insert the card and say
> >"pccardc dumpcis".  Look through the output for an entry like this:
>
> Does killing it after it launches ok?  I found that I got strange errors
> if I turned off pccard in rc.conf but was able to get the info you
> mentioned when I let the system load it on boot and then killed it.

The fact that things don't work unless you have run pccardd are
strange; it certainly *should* work.  I am beginning to suspect that
there is something very odd with your pcic/laptop.

> >Now look through the output for one like this:
> >
> >Tuple #8, code = 0x1b (Configuration entry), length = 7
> >    000:  20 08 ca 60 00 03 1f
> >        Config index = 0x20
> >        Card decodes 10 address lines, limited 8/16 Bit I/O
> >                I/O address # 1: block start = 0x300 block length = 0x20
>
> I actually got two?: ('scuze any typos, it's on the laptop and I'm
> writing from the PMac.)
>
> Tuple #7, code 0x1b (Configuration entry), length = 15
>    000: 03 01 71 55 26 26 54
>        Config index = 0x1(default)
>
> and
>
> Tuple #8, code 0x1b (Configuration entry), length = 7
>    000:  03 01 71 55 26 26 54
>        Config index = 0x3

OK, so the only two valid configuration indices are 0x1 and 0x3.  What
are the I/O addresses associated with them? (There should be extra data
in thost tuples, but I can't read them 8)

> Ok, here is what happens:
>
> config 0x1 "ep0" 10
>      Card inserted, slot 0         # 30-45 second delay
>      Slot0, unfielded interrupt (0)

This is indicative of a serious problem; something is generating
interrupts even though the slot has not been configured yet.  I am
concerned that your pcic may not be correctly configured.  I'm sure
you've mentioned before what your laptop is, but could you tell me
again?

> config 0x300 "ep0" 10
>      Card inserted, slot 0         # 10-20 second delay
>      Jan 31 16:45:24 quarry cardd[249]: Resource allocation failure for
> 3Com Corporation.

This obviously can't work; you have specified a configuration index of
0x300, but only 0x1 and 0x3 exist in the CIS.

> I went ahead and made the changes (even though this is a resource error
> not a driver error) and added a printf to the two ENXIO exits that
> didn't' supply an error but still nothing. Should I do the same to
> another area of the code to find the problem with the resource allocation?

No.  The resource error is configuration-file related.  The endless
unfielded interrupt errors, on the other hand, appear to be a problem
with the way that cards are probed/attached.

Are you doing this on 2.2.5 or on -current?

\\  end it's only with yourself.  \\