Date:      Sat, 11 Mar 2000 04:46:58 +0100
From:      Harold Gutch <logix@foobar.franken.de>
To:        Andy Farkas <andyf@speednet.com.au>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: security check output

On Sat, Mar 11, 2000 at 02:18:13PM +1100, Andy Farkas wrote:

> This may belong on -questions...
>
> How is it possible that I get connection attempts from outside my private
> subnet?  My main concern is how the heck do these packets get routed to my
> workstation?  I'm sure there are routers in between that drop RFC1918
> addresses..
>
> > > Connection attempt to TCP 172.22.2.9:1503 from 216.35.209.171:80
> > > Connection attempt to TCP 172.22.2.9:1503 from 216.35.209.171:80
[...]

As you didn't say which version of FreeBSD you were using, I just
grepped through a 2.2.8 sourcetree and guessed from the source
that incoming SYN|ACK - packets were logged by log_in_vain.

I might be wrong, but my guess is that you're seeing answers to
outgoing HTTP-packets for which the local socket already timed
out and therefore is closed already.  These packets had the SYN
(and the ACK-) flag set and therefore were logged by FreeBSD,
although they basically were real replies from some outside
machine.
Your NAT-ting box overwrote the destination-address of these
packets to match the internal address (172.22.2.9), therefore
you're seeing packets to these addresses to closed sockets (hence
the log-entries).

bye,
  Harold

--
Someone should do a study to find out how many human life spans have
been lost waiting for NT to reboot.