Date:      27 Oct 2002 09:55:46 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.no-ip.com>
To:        Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
Cc:        pippo@bellnet.ca, m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk (Matthew Seaman), freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to add space

Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu> writes:

> > I don't think it would be that much trouble to use Partition Magic, delete
> > slice1 and then reo the fdisk and the rest of the mounting process - but I
> > should then install the boot manager - but will it install it on slice 1
> > (ad0s1) ? I suppose from there, the boot manager should poinbt to slice 2
> > to boot...
>
> I don't think the boot manager goes in any slice.
> It goes before them in the boot sector.  It gets read up and
> executed and it lets you select which bootable slice you want to
> boot up.

That's correct, but it's only the full story for the standard FreeBSD
boot manager (BootEasy).  Other boot managers are too large to fit
entirely in the Master Boot Record, and need to access a disk slice
for partial functionality.  It is also possible to put a boot manager
in a slice, but this is only useful if the boot manager in the MBR is
able to boot that slice.

I *very* rarely use my boot manager to do anything but boot my FreeBSD
root partition, so I like BootEasy, because if anything bad happens to
it, I can fix it easily.