Date:      Fri, 02 Sep 2011 03:07:40 +0200
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        Michal Varga <varga.michal@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ports system quality

Michal,
Nice analogy !

> Nobody is really steering this ship anymore and it just happily
> rams icebergs along the way, with volunteers occasionally throwing
> buckets of water (and sometimes pieces of furniture) overboard to
> somehow keep it afloat for a while longer.

Furniture like sysutils/diskcheckd, mail/procmail etc was recently
under threat of discard, from misguided preference to toss code
alleged problematic, rather than investigate send-prs others said
were problematic.

Tossing to CVS Attic is no excuse, it's not something many release
users have to hand, nor will they read ports@ etc between releases.

Release users are what a company would call valuable customers. For
FreeBSD they should be valuable too, & include firms that use
releases to create jobs, sponsor developers, & promote BSD. But
FreeBSD ports@ degrades releases with: Give no warning, dont mark
deprecated on one release then wait till next release before removal,
just toss out ports between releases with no warning.  No principle
of least suprise.  Unprofessional.

I've not known a clean build of ports/ I use in 10 years
  ( http://berklix.com/~jhs/src/bsd/fixes/FreeBSD/ports/jhs/Makefile.local )
But as I dont build in chroots, probably I should be grateful the can
of worms is not bigger, with
  `/bin/ls -1  /var/db/pkg | wc -l` > 1000

The mass waste of time with all major Unix projects maintaining their
own ports/ packages shims/ skeletons to build generic software is scarey.
Microsoft must grin at all us BSD, Linux, maybe Solaris & presumably
even now http://www.minix3.org free source enthusiasts reinventing
similar old ports shims for same old 3rd party wheels:.

A ports manager made a good point: there's a big investment of
people skills in doing things the FreeBSD way. But that could
also translate as: Our Titanic is too heavy to steer.

FreeBSD ports infrastructure/ future history could be any of these:
	- Struggle on as is.
	- Accept we're in trouble, (as some NetBSD too accept),
	  co-operate, & get someone [ SoC students ? ]
	  to design *BSD *Linux, a new cross/ OS shim set.
	  (too scarey letting students do that > pay some one else. ).
	- Get FreeBSD & NetBSD foundations & maybe wider to sponsor
	  a new build structure with a limited number of demo ports.
	- Wait & see if a firm does a Cygnus on us. ie what Cygnus
	  did for FSF UX tools on MS, remove some pain & charge some money.
	- Wait & see if someone ports their Linux NetBSD or whatever
	  ports shims to also work on FreeBSD.
	  (just as Linux tools on a BSD kernel came as a suprise to us).
	- See if someone who produces RFCs takes a crack at defining
	  standards for ports/ shims
	  BTW I call 'em shims, cos the word ports
	  causes problems in the NetBSD hardware ports camp,

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below, not above;  Indent with "> ";  Cumulative like a play script.