Date:      Wed, 07 Jun 2000 16:47:45 +0200
From:      Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
To:        Victor Sudakov <sudakov@sibptus.tomsk.ru>
Cc:        Christoph Sold <so@server.ms-agentur.de>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What kind of video camera?

Victor Sudakov wrote:

> Christoph Sold wrote:
> >

> > > Could you please give some advice on what kind of web camera to buy to
> > > work on FreeBSD? I am interested in an inexpensive camera for
> > > videoconferencing etc that would be supported in FreeBSD. Such small
> > > thingies you put near the computer case.
> >
> > After you have decided which TV-Grabber board should go into the box, have
> > a look at this board interfaces. Buy the cheapest video camera which fits
>
> I actually was thinking of some USB or LPT type camera, without any
> board to go into the box. There are plenty of such on the market now.
> Any ideas?

Avoid LPT devices like the plague. USB, I don't know. Simple calculations show a
single picture at TV resolution needs > 1MB before compression. The compression
is don in the box, so the data has to travel uncompressed into it. I prefer a
PCI based cheapo BT848-based board exactly for this reason.

> > to that board. (Video compression reduces almost anything away -- thus the
> > image quality does not matter anyway.) I used a board with a BT848
> > chipset, and connected a cheap b/w doorstep camera. The hardware costs
>
> BTW what software did you use for viewing of the picture,
> conferencing etc?

None. I needed to grab the images for mesurment purposes. On a sidetrack I
installed the fxtv port, which worked (without sound: no sound board inside the
box).

HTH
-Christoph Sold