Date:      Sun, 5 May 1996 03:47:45 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Tony Kimball <alk@Think.COM>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   co-scheduling

I'd really like to co-schedule processes on LAN nodes.  To be clear:
I want to insure that the processes of a group of processes
distributed one-to-one on a set of FBSD boxes in a LAN execute
with a maximal degree of synchronous overlap.  The reason is that
the processes are exchanging data at a high rate, and cannot make
progress unless data is exchanged.  When operating with vanishing
orthogonal load, this is not a problem; however, when the
orthogonal load increases, the slowdown is, ermmm, impressive.

Can anyone recommend the most expeditious means of implementing
such a co-scheduling facility?

On a related note, I am curious whether there would be much
interest in an HPF compiler for x86 BSD networks, given that
it would only be available in binary form, were it made freely
available.

Oh, and if anyone wants to *buy* one, do please let me know:-)

Finally, are there to be recommended any examples of code
which sends/recvs ethernet pakets using exclusively user-space
code, especially using 100bT devices?

//alk