Date:      Sun, 10 Aug 1997 15:41:12 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AWE32/64 support?

Alex:
 |On Sun, 10 Aug 1997, Randall Hopper wrote:
 |
 |>      The AWE driver provides wavetable support for the the SB cards that
 |> have the EMU-8000 synth chip (SB32s, AWE32s, and AWE64s), giving you synth
 |> music in Doom, great-sounding MIDIs, MODs, 669s, S3Ms, GUS sequencer
 |> compatibility, etc.  As Doug mentioned, the SB16 drivers are used for DSP
 |> support since effectively that's what's on these cards (SB16 or the
 |> compatible Vibra16 chipset).
 |
 |So this doesn't _just_ support the AWE32s and AWE64s? I have a 32PnP and
 |for kicks added the awe device line, and it _seems_ to find it at port 620
 |but then later says "AWE Not Found" "AWE: Not Detected". *shrug*  Also,
 |does the awe driver need the sb driver to work? or will they work
 |independant of each other?

     To the last question, I think the #ifdefs in the sounddriver nested so
that you probably have to define at least some of the SB DSP devices to get
a kernel to link with AWE support.  Probably just want to include them all:

     device sb0      at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 vector sbintr
     device sbxvi0   at isa? drq 5
     device sbmidi0  at isa? port 0x330
     device opl0     at isa? port 0x388
     device awe0     at isa? port 0x620

     To the first question, the driver itself doesn't have PnP detection
and initialization, but you can still use your card with it.  You need to
grab Sujal Patel's ISA PnP Tools and link those into your kernel.  Once
they init the card, the driver will detect and use it.

Here's one URL to Sujal's package:

     ftp://rah.star-gate.com/pub/FreeBSD-ISA_PnP_June8.tar.gz

I've gotten e-mail and seen list posts from several folks that have gotten
their PnP SoundBlaster cards (e.g. AWE32 PnP, AWE64 PnP, and SB16 PnP)
working using Sujal's kit.

     Note that once the experimental sound drivers Amancio and Luigi are
heading-up the rework for stabilize and are checked in, PnP init for
soundcards in general will probably be handled in the sound drivers
themselves.  For now though it's handled external to the sound drivers with
the ISA PnP tools.

Randall