Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 2002 18:11:56 -0500
From:      Jeff Walters <jwalters_1@yahoo.com>
To:        Dru <dlavigne6@cogeco.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPsec on a NAT gateway

On Tuesday, Dec 10, 2002, at 12:25 US/Eastern, Dru wrote:

> The configuration you describe is still considered tunnel mode, even
> though it looks part transport / part tunnel mode. Tunnel mode occurs
> whenever a gateway encrypts on behalf of a network. Typical tunnels
> have
> gateways at both ends, however it is possible to have a gateway at one
> end
> and a single machine at the other.

Thanks for the insight.  I will look more closely at the tunnel mode.

I'm wondering if it isn't a better idea to use the FreeBSD box itself
as the wireless access point, though it would require me buying a
wireless card.  Even with notebook-to-gateway IPsec someone could still
bridge into my LAN through the Airport base station by breaking WEP and
emulating my MAC address.  Whereas if the wireless access point was on
the FreeBSD gateway box I could set up the wireless side like an IPsec
VPN, and set up firewall rules to protect my wired LAN.

Thanks for the responses.

Jeff