Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 95 15:05:57 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        dfr@render.com (Doug Rabson)
Cc:        peter@haywire.dialix.com, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: what's going on here? (NFSv3 problem?)

[ ... ]

> The current code in the NFS server generates the verifier in the
> supposedly FS independant server code.  This is the part which is wrong.
> The VOP_READDIR call should really allow the FS to return a verifier
> along with the cookies.  Of course, if I suggested another change to
> VOP_READDIR, then the flames would really start...

8-).  Yes.  I'd start by arguing that it should go in stat instead...

> Well in the interests of stability and to avoid making FreeBSD 2.0 even
> later, I chose the easy solution :-).  If you can improve the situation
> by reworking the system name cache, then that can only be a good thing.

I realized at the time that it was the expedient soloution, too.  And
in all fairness, there are times when you need to make tradeoffs between
correctness and expediency.

Now we can determine the correct soloution and deal with it.

I'm going to be uploading the patches to my home directory on freefall
tomorrow evening to get rid of the root mount frobs outside the
documented interface to VFS.

I have some mount system call changes to get rid of the manifest constants
for file system types, and some user space utilites to clean up to
handle those changes, next.

After that's done, it should free me up to deal with some of the cache
and interface smearing issues in NFS and elsewhere.  I need to do the
NFS and CDROM root mount generalizations in any case, and that's in
the area.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu