Date:      22 Mar 1997 09:52:30 -0500
From:      Jay Sachs <sachs@interactive.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Coping Files From MS-DOS to a BSD Partitian?

"K. Marsh" <durang@u.washington.edu> writes:

> On Fri, 21 Mar 1997, Robert Nordier wrote:
>
> > If your DOS filesystem has a cluster size exceeding 16K, don't use any
> > FreeBSD release earlier than 2.2.  It's that simple. :-)
> >
> > If you follow the rule above, the msdosfs is quite usable.  It has
> > various bugs, but it works reasonably well for simple operations.

Just a warning.  "Simple operations" does not include renaming a
directory. I have a small (320MB) FAT-formatted disk. If I have a
directory /dos/D/freebsd/xf32 (== D:\FREEBSD\XF32), and I do

  cd /dos/D/freebsd
  mv xf32 xf8632

it ends up cross-linking the directory and not actually renaming it.
I end up with a circular directory reference.  In the directory
D:\FREEBSD\XF32 is a subdirectory XF32 which is actually the parent
directory.  Nothing tragic - CHKDSK or SCANDISK can fix it, but it
doesn't really work.  So I stopped trying to rename MSDOS directories
while runing freebsd.

-jay