Date:      Wed, 23 Jul 2003 20:21:42 +0200
From:      Eivind Olsen <eivind@aminor.no>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing FreeBSD onto Vinum-volumes?

--On 23. juli 2003 09:19 -0500 Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com> wrote:
> I've had great success with configuring an initial tiny partition as '/'
> and doing a minimal installation (and I mean *minimal*, as in, there's
> nothing else you can remove and still have it boot).  The first step
> after booting the new system is then configuring vinum, adding volumes
> for /usr, /var, and so on, and moving the (small!) amount of data from
> the "physical" filesystem to their vinum counterparts.  Once that's up, I
> do a more complete install with /stand/sysinstall.

Are you able to have a mirrored root-device (/) with this approach? Or will
you end up with having a single copy of / on one drive?

> Out of curiosity, what offsets have you had to calculate?

I've read a bit of a chapter from the 4th edition of The Complete FreeBSD:
<http://www.vinumvm.org/cfbsd/vinum.pdf>; (or, as text
<http://www.vinumvm.org/cfbsd/vinum.txt>).
It suggests to install the swap-partition first on the drive, setup a slice
for vinum to cover the entire drive and then run bsdlabel and change the
offset and size for the swap and vinum partitions.

--
Regards / Hilsen
Eivind Olsen