Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 2023 12:52:12 -0700
From:      Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to compare branches?

On Mon, Jul 24, 2023 at 07:43:30PM +0000, Brooks Davis wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 24, 2023 at 12:37:37PM -0700, Steve Kargl wrote:
> > It has been brought to my attention that a few fixes to libm
> > in main have not been merged to at least the 13 branch.  To
> > check on the level of missing changes, I would to compare ther
> > lib/msun on main to lib/msun on stable/13.  What is the git
> > command needed for such a task?  My attempts of modifying results
> > from a google search of "git diff between branches" has been
> > entertaining but fruitless.
>
> git diff stable/13..main lib/msun
>
> or you can see individual commits graphically on mfc.freebsd.org with
> the filter @lib/msun/

Thanks!  The command you showed is the one variation I didn't try.
Hmmm, I must be missing something.

% cd /usr/src
%  git diff stable/13..main lib/msun
fatal: ambiguous argument 'stable/13..main': unknown revision or path
not in the working tree.
Use '--' to separate paths from revisions, like this:
% git status
On branch main
Your branch is up to date with 'freebsd/main'

--
Steve