Date:      Fri, 30 Jun 2006 11:40:33 +0100 (BST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Ensel Sharon <user@dhp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 6.1 quota bugs cause adaptec 2820sa kernel to crash ?

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006, Ensel Sharon wrote:

> I have gotten no responses of any kind from -hackers or from -fs, or
> privately.
>
> I am currently trying to reproduce this on a totally different machine, to
> see if I can pin it down as a quota problem or an aac problem or a 2820sa
> problem.  My efforts are ametuerish, I'm afraid, and I'd be happy to run any
> kind of tests, etc., for anyone that is better at this than I am.
>
> In the meantime, if _anyone_ has any insight into my original post in this
> thread (June 23) it would be much appreciated.  Especially some details as
> to what the problems with quotas really are and how they are being fixed.

Ensel,

I chatted with Scott a day or two ago, and he told me he believes he has
tracked down a bug in the adaptec device driver under high I/O load, and
thinks it is possible that quotas are triggering slightly higher load
resulting in the bug being exercised.  He has a patch, which hopefully he has
now sent to you?

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge