Date:      Thu, 3 Dec 1998 16:53:02 -0600 (CST)
From:      Kyle Mestery <mestery@winternet.com>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Still errors stopping audio CDs in current

On Wed, 2 Dec 1998, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:

> I've been too swamped with 'real work' to really look into this, which is
> why I haven't commented so far.  Sorry about that.

No problem, totally understandable.  I just thought I'd keep trying new kernels
and new ways to test it until something happened.

> I took a quick look at the cd ioctl code and did find at least one
> potential problem.  When performing a CDIOEJECT, an allow media removal
> operation is not performed before issuing the stop unit command.  This
> may confuse the device.  This doesn't explain why we would hang waiting
> to get a CCB though.  That indicates a resource tracking bug somewhere
> in the driver most likely triggered by something cdcontrol or cdplay is
> doing before the eject.  A ktrace of what these programs do would be
> useful.

If you've seen the stuff I've told Ken, is a ktrace still necessary at this
point?  If so, I can attempt to do that (never done it before).  It looks to
me at least that cdcontrol isn't handling the error return from the IOCTL.
I'm not sure why the drive is returning an error at this point.

--
Kyle Mestery
StorageTek's Storage Networking Group