Date:      Thu, 13 Nov 1997 09:32:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Chris Peltier <CPELTIER@iectech.com>
Cc:        "'FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.org'" <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: CCD and Squid

On Wed, 12 Nov 1997, Chris Peltier wrote:

> I was wondering what CCD disk
> strategy is best with Squid. Is it better to
> just concatenate the drives or to stripe
> across all drives. With Squids directory
> cache structure can you take advantage
> of reducing overall disk access time by
> using multiple spindles concatenated?
> I would think that disk transfer rate is
> not as important in this application and
> reducing access time by keeping logical
> I/Os on a single spindle (instead of involving
> them all) is.

Actually, you want to spread the I/O's around.  In SCSI systems that
suport detach/atttach, you can send separate commands to separate devices
and have them do the seek concurently.  The speed limit is going to be
your disk speed in any case, by striping them you can hope to get page
accesses on separate disks.

> Does anybody have any thoughts or experience
> with this?

You might check with teh squid people, I'm sure others have fought this on
other platforms.

> FreeBSD 2.2.2 is the OS.

You should upgrade to 2.2.5, you will be much happier.