Date:      Fri, 9 May 1997 00:16:09 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jim Bryant <jbryant@argus>
To:        GETAWAY@FL-CRUISE.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, sam_brownback@brownback.senate.gov, rep.snowbarger@mail.house.gov
Subject:   Re: ESCAPE!  Florida Cruise/Vacation $598/4 People

[to those of you receiving a repost of this, sorry, i had mistyped one
of the recipients email addresses]

please excuse the verbatim quoting of the spam to the list...  please
note my Cc line...

given that most of the people on this mailing list are either
operating system programmers, ISP owners, ISP sysadmins, or people
looking for technical help with the FreeBSD Unix operating system, we
must not overlook that the spammers are now using our mailing list to
further their scams...

i urge all citizens of the United States of America on this list to
forward all spam to your senators and representative on capital hill...

maybe they will get the point, and legislate that unrequested email
[spam] be made legally a violation of privacy, and thus illegal.  i do
not pay for junk email.  the internet is not the us postal service.

i recall that the house voted recently on behalf of all of the spam
scam artists, and refused to make it illegal.

let's give congress an idea of how BIG the problem is...

i ask every ISP owner on this list [yes, i know that there are a lot
of you] have YOUR USERS forward a copy of EVERY spam message they get
[yes, i bet if we all got the users doing it, we can generate easily a
million messages going to congress for every spam message hitting our
systems, i'm sure your customers will willingly comply!!!] to their
congressman...

we must understand that our congressional representitives lead a very
sheltered life and are probably not even aware of the actual scope of
the spam PROBLEM.

let's educate them!  a million forwarded spams a day is my goal, yes i
understand that this will be an easy goal, all it will take is one
spam to each customer of each ISP on this list every day, congress can
even get a bonus million or more spam copies if each customer receives
more than one spam every day!  the house and senate may both may need
new mail machines, terabyte capacity...

and thus i announce the formation of the League to Fight Spam with
Spam.  membership is open, and all you have got to do to join is
follow the suggestions above...

all they have to do is vote for common sense, and not for soft money.

Fight Spam with [focused] Spam!@#  I'm tired of it, are you?

should we get the television networks aware too?

jim
--
All opinions expressed are mine, if you   | "I will not be pushed, stamped,
think otherwise, then go jump into turbid | briefed, debriefed, indexed, or