Date:      Wed, 02 Sep 1998 16:38:00 -0500
From:      "Jeff Rogers" <jlr@soltec.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   SCSI config in new kernel

I want to edit my kernel to support a newly added Adaptec 1542B
controller.

Tonight I tried to recompile the kernel but got error code1.  I just
went back to the prior kernel, and all is fine.  I have question
stemming from info in FreeBSD handbook, section 5.3.5.

The line that reads as follows:
controller aha0		at isa? port "IO_AHA0" bio irq? drq 5 vector ahaintr

Should I/must I put in the port address and IRQ, as I have them set via
jumpers on the card? I had left the line unedited once and added the
IRQ once, and still got the error code.  I uncommented the line about
the CD (for SCSI external CD ROM) and left it unedited as well.

Thank you all the helpful input and pointers in good directions.

Jeff Rogers
jlr@soltec.net
Saint Joseph, IL