Date:      Tue, 9 May 2000 18:49:41 -0700
From:      "Dan O'Connor" <dan@mostgraveconcern.com>
To:        "tjeerd hoogendijk" <tjeerd_h@dds.nl>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: gateway configuration

>I have a question about the gateway option in freebsd 4.0.
>The installation of freebsd was no problem then i found out
>how to connect with my modem to my isp so far no
>problems. but when I tryed to share my connection with a
>win98 box it wouldn't work i have red the instructions how
>to make a internet gateway but when i start a ppp sesion
>to my isp with the option -nat i can not connect with my win98
>box to the internet.I have set the gateway in my tcp/ip tap of
>my networkcard from my win98 box to th ip of my inet server.
>now is the question do i have set more thinks before i can
>connect with my win98 box to the internet. i also put the ip
>and name of my win98 box in the /etc/hosts file.

1.    Add the name & address of your machines to C:\WINDOWS\HOSTS on your
Windows box. It's a normal text file, with no filename extension.

2.    Tell Windows the addresses of your ISP's DNS servers:

        In the Network Properties dialog, double-click the TCP/IP component
to open the TCP/IP Properties dialog, and go to the DNS Configuration tab.

        Check 'Enable DNS', type in your computers host name in the 'Host'
box (you'll get an error message if you leave this blank), then enter your
ISP's two DNS servers in the 'DNS Server Search Order' box.

'OK' your way out, reboot, and you should be in business...

--Dan

--
Dan O'Connor
On Matters of Most Grave Concern