Date:      Fri, 23 Nov 2001 00:48:44 -0800
From:      Brian Sobolak <sobolak@mindspring.com>
To:        Sidney Brooks <sidneybrooks@vtc.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.org, Sidney@FreeBSD.ORG, Brooks@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Several questions

hi

SB> I have played with linux fo several years, but just tried Free BSD.

Welcome - enjoy the ride.

SB> 1.When  I  installed BSD, I selected KDE, Gnome, and Enlightenment
SB> with  KDE  as  my  default.  It worked well until as root, I tried
SB> "startx  enlightenment",  which  got  me  into  enlightenment. Now
SB> whenever,  I  type  startx as root, I get enlightenment instead of
SB> kde.  As a user, I still get KDE. Is there any way to reverse what
SB> I have done?

I think you want to check your .xinitrc file in each user's home
directory.  So check /root and /home/yourusername and see what's
different.  You can change that file to change the default.

SB> 2.  I  have  a  new  computer with an S3G Graphics Inc, Pro Savage
SB> video  card.  When  I do XF86Setup, any S3 driver gives me a sceen
SB> with  elements  so  big  that I can't even accept the result. This
SB> leaves  me  with  Generic  VGA,  which  works but does not fit the
SB> window  on my computer screen very well. I have used xvidtune, but
SB> cannot get a combination that really fits. Any suggestions.

Ahh, Xwindows.  Have you tried checking the vendor sites for the specs
on your card and the specs on your monitor to make sure you know what
it can handle?  It might give you some suggestions about how to tweak
the defaults that are suggested.

<skipping 3>

SB> 4.  Since  I  have  a  big  disk,  I tried to load everything, but
SB> eventually  the  installation  process  froze.  I  then  installed
SB> average user with X. Have others had this problem?

You might want to check the mailing list archive to see if others have
had this problem.  If you don't find any information there, you might
want to try questions@freebsd.org - that's the general mailing list
for technical support.

brian

ps I think you want to look at your mailer.  Do you really have the
email addresses sidney@freebsd.org and brooks@freebsd.org?  This
showed up in the reply-to header.

--
Got work?                      http://www.planetshwoop.com/resume/