Date:      Mon, 23 Sep 1996 17:47:05 -0400
From:      risner@heathers.stdio.com (James Risner)
To:        freebsd-bugs@freebsd.org
Cc:        fenner@parc.xerox.com
Subject:    Re: Very disturbing boot block problems..

Boot problems.
I may be crazy, but I thought I saw the disklabel showing the drive
with 2030 cylc with the disklabe incorrect at the bottom on the positions.
In other words it looked like the root was reall around 1200 to 1300 (630*2)
and that would cause the problem.

disklabel sd0 would check it.
or /stand/sysinstall and goto custom partition and make sure it does not list
a ">" in the root.

Also there IS a bug in 2.1.5 that was not present in 2.1.0 related to bad
tracking.
If you run bad144 on a disk you HAVE to slice it so that the first partition
is contained in the first 1023 cylc's since the bios looks at the bad track
to find replacements and if your kernel is sitting on a bad track then the
bios can not load it since it needs to load the replacement which is way out
in the end of the slice or disk.
Meaning for a big disk you need to chop it up into two chunks one you use
just for root and the other you use for the rest.  Keep the root self contained
in the first 1023 cylcs.

Risner