Date:      Thu, 1 Oct 1998 02:06:46 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        shmit@kublai.com
Cc:        tomdean@ix.netcom.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MAKEDEV Support for sd and st Devices (was: time for some new man pages)

> > Is it possible to restore sd and st support just to be compatible with
> > other operating systems?  Even if FreeBSD core members do not want
> > them?  Is this even a consideration?
>
> What other operating systems? The only ones I can think of are
> NetBSD and OpenBSD, and I wouldn't be surprised if they grabbed
> the CAM code soon anyway. The name of the drive device is going to
> be at least OS specific, and really it's host specific (think about
> wd versus sd), and will continue to be that way until the Unix
> world unites under a common GPL'd standard.

Actually, st has been fairly standard for a long time on NCR
Tower XP, NCR Tower 32, Arrete 1100, Huerikon, SunOS, Solaris,
Ultrix, Gould "PowerOS", Zilog "Zeus", SCO Xenix, SCO OpenServer,
Microport UNIX, ISC UNIX, etc..

Each of these systems supports a /dev/rst0.  Most of them support
/dev/rst0n (no rewind), as well.

The common core of this is that NCR wrote the tape drivers for most
systems, and built most of the tape drive firmware under contract.

The "sd" usage in BSD is less standard, since we (stupidly) chose
our own formant for minor devices, instead of using standard
controller/target/unit/lun notation like everyone else.

> The name change may have been gratuitous, but I can't really object,
> since the old devices work just fine. Besides, if you figure that
> the IDE code will end up under CAM in the future, it makes sense
> to call it `da' instead of `sd'.

Soren said that he's not going to do the work for the new ATAPI
code.

In any case, there's not really a compelling reason for the change,
and that answers the question I was asking before everyone loaded
their political baggage onto my bandwagon on one side or the other.

All this could have been avoided by saying "Yes, the change is
gratuitous, but I'm writing the code".

8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org