Date:      Wed, 15 Jan 2003 12:13:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Cagle, John (ISS-Houston)" <john.cagle@hp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, Nicolas Kowalski <Nicolas.Kowalski@imag.fr>
Subject:   RE: SMP hang at boot on Compaq Proliant ML370

On 15-Jan-2003 Cagle, John (ISS-Houston) wrote:
> That's a vicious rumor -- no operating system could work without clock
> interrupts in SMP mode...  Could it?

I think it had something to do more with the RTC interrupt not being
routed to the I/O APIC and FreeBSD currently can only handle the ISA
timer interrupt being only rounted to the 8259A PICs.  Thus, FreeBSD
hangs because it doesn't get any interrupts from the RTC via the I/O
APIC.  I couldn't remmeber the exact details earlier hence the vagueness
of my message.