Date:      Tue, 29 Jan 2002 07:30:03 -0500
From:      Mark Woodson <mwoodson@bacxs.com>
To:        David Banning <david@skytrackercanada.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problem with samba from one windows box

At 12:53 AM 1/29/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>One windows 98 box only gives me an error trying to access the printers.
>I get the network icon for the FreeBSD machine, but when I double click
>on it, I get the windows error;
>
><snip>
>What may be a clue to the problem,
>is that during windows boot, I get the 3-field password
>window which is a login for a Microsoft network, which I just get an error
>from. I don't understand that window, don't want it,
>and I don't know how do get rid of it.
>I don't have that login on my other windows boxes and they work fine. Then
>I get the 2-field standard password, which is standard on my other win boxes.

The difference between the two and three field logins is called related to
domains.  You've apparently set this particular win98 box to login into a
domain, and your bafflement suggests that there is no PDC to login to.  I
avoid 98 as much as I am able, but if you go to the Control Panel, locate
Network and look for "Log into an NT Doman" or something similar in the
Client for Microsoft Windows box you should be good to go.

Good luck with it.

-Mark