Date:      Mon, 24 Sep 2001 13:22:53 +0200
From:      Peter Wullinger <Peter.Wullinger@stud.fh-regensburg.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Disk based file system cache

On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 01:07:00PM +0200, Attila Nagy wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm just curious: is it possible to set up an NFS server and a client
> where the client has very big (28 GB maximum for FreeBSD?) swap area on
> multiple disks and caches the NFS exported data on it?
> This could save a lot of bandwidth on the NFS server and also redues load
> on that.

I'm not familiar with nfsiod(was it?),
but I think, that this NFS run in kernel mode and
uses kernel malloc(9) memory for caching. And kernel
memory is quite different from user space memory ... Correct me,
if I'm wrong.

Even if it worked, you will possibly get REAL problems due to
synchronisation problems. If your client machines are Linux, Solaris
or (;-)) FreeBSD, you can setup CODA from the ports collection, it's
much more suitable for this.

Peter