Date:      Sun, 2 Oct 2016 20:22:14 -0300
From:      Mario Lobo <lobo@bsd.com.br>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Fw: Centralizing /usr/src compilation

Hi;

I Forgot to CC the list.

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2016 20:20:06 -0300
From: Mario Lobo <lobo@bsd.com.br>
To: Erich Dollansky <erichsfreebsdlist@alogt.com>
Subject: Re: Centralizing /usr/src compilation

On Sun, 2 Oct 2016 21:13:12 +0800
Erich Dollansky <erichsfreebsdlist@alogt.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sat, 1 Oct 2016 10:42:24 -0300
> Mario Lobo <lobo@bsd.com.br> wrote:
>
> > I hava a src master server (10.3.51.50) where I compile src and
> > kernel. No CPUTYPE or compiler flags are set. On it, I issued
> > make buildworld and make buildkernel that proceed with no errors.
> > I shared its /usr/src and /usr/obj via nfs.
> >
> > Then, on a slave server, same version and arch as the master, it
> > has this:
> >
> do both machines have the same CPU? As you did not specify the CPU,
> the CPU in the server was used as the target. If you have different
> CPUs but want to use one kernel for all, it might will work if you
> specify the type of CPU with the least capabilities you have or you
> compile on that machine.
>
> Erich
>
> > 2>Illegal instruction (core dumped) Illegal instruction (core
> > 2>dumped)
>
> Illegal instruction sounds like the target CPU does not know an
> instruction. Of course, this could also be caused by something else.
>
> > even bury my idea for good as non workable?
>
> It should work when you set the CPU type.
>
> I also run a kernel compiled for an older Intel CPU on a newer Intel
> CPU without problems. I never tried it the other way around.
>
> Erich

Hi Erich. Thanks for replying!

Actually, the "slave" server is a guest VM hosted on the "master"
server.

Like I said, the slave has the same FBSD version and arch (AMD64) as the
"master". (I know ... the jail argument, but I still didn't master it
enough to fell confident for production).

I did not specify any CPUTYPE because I assumed that if I didn't, it
would compile for a GENERIC CPU, although I thought that through
VT-x/AMD-V, the guests sees the same CPU as the host.

Which CPUTYPE should I set? I ask because there are other physical
machines on the LAN with slightly different CPUs in which I want this
to work also.

Thanks!
--
Mario Lobo
http://www.mallavoodoo.com.br

"UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things,
because that would also stop you from doing clever things."