Date:      Mon, 29 Jun 1998 23:27:42 -0300 (ADT)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DjVu from ATT

On Tue, 30 Jun 1998, Daniel O'Connor wrote:

> > (by AT&Ts claims of 5 to 10x better compression then Jpeg), that much less
> > data (image wise) being strewn across the 'Net...
> Yes, but from reading the info on the compression scheme it is only suitable
> for low colour pictures which require crispness (eg text), whereas jpeg is
> better for pictures with lots of colour (eg images of people etc)
> Still, I'm just guessing and haven't tried it :)

	The talk about using it for online catalogs (one of there examples
is an electronics catalog)...from what I understand of it so far, it
"pulls" the text away from the graphics, and compresses each seperately.

	They had one graphic up that looked like an architectual
drawing...when the image decompresses, you see the 'text' first, and then
the graphic gets overlayed on top of it (really neat to watch, I find)...I
was suprised at what it considered to be 'text'...text != alphanumeric.

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org