Date:      Wed, 4 Feb 1998 16:48:29 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        roark_hilomen_at_meridian@meridian-data.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Soft Updates

On Wed, 4 Feb 1998 roark_hilomen_at_meridian@meridian-data.com wrote:

> I was searching for "Soft Updates" implementation and found references to it in
> the Filesystem newsgroup.  Unfortunately it only mentioned that OpenBSD was
> implementing it.  It slightly hinted that FreeBSD may have it soon, but no
> timeframe or release number (2.2.5? 3.0? 3.0+?)

This hit the -hackers mailing list the other day and they are working out
the licensing issues.  If it does come into the tree it'll go into
-CURRENT for shakeout.  It won't ever come into 2.2.x most likely.

> I am definitely interested in the "Soft Update" enhancemnet to the filesystem.
> I would like to know its availability or current state of development.

The I/O improvements quoted were _very_ impressive.

> Also, since soft updates tend to delay "writes", on a critical failure (system
> crash, panic, power outage), what provisions of data integrity have been
> implemented?  Is an intent log written out?  Has fsck changed?

It's probably as dangerous as running with asynchronous updates.  If the
system blows up with uncommitted writes then data could be lost.