Date:      Fri, 27 Apr 2001 10:19:04 -0500
From:      "Brian D. Woodruff" <wood@soundconcept.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   sshd problem

Last Friday I brought a system from 4.2-STABLE to 4.3-STABLE by performing
a cvsup and doing a make world

Everything was fine except for sshd services, which would not run and gave
me these errors in my /var/log/messages

> > Apr 26 16:25:10 s3b sshd[309]: no modules loaded for `sshd' service
> > Apr 26 16:25:10 s3b sshd[309]: fatal: PAM session setup
> failed[6]:  Permission denied
> > Apr 26 16:25:10 s3b sshd[309]: no modules loaded for `sshd' service

I built openssh from the port and ran that (in /usr/local/sbin/) instead of
the system one (in /usr/sbin/) and it worked fine.

This tells me that it's not a PAM problem, as the messages log might make
one assume.

I did another cvsup to make sure there hadn't been any fixes to this posted
yet, and then did another make world (naturally, I built and install an new
kernel each time, too)

I still got the same error.

On a whim, I copied the sshd program from /usr/local/sbin/ to /usr/sbin/
and now it all seems fine, though I can't help but wonder if there isn't a
problem with STABLE right now.

Comments?

BDW