Date:      Tue, 21 Sep 1999 16:42:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NIS access denied

On Tue, 21 Sep 1999, Mitch Collinsworth wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I have an ancient NIS domain with an ultrix master and several hp-ux
> slave servers.  I am trying to add a freebsd slave that will eventually
> become the master.  I have transferred most of the maps and have ypserv
> running, but after updating the ypservers map I am not able to propagate
> it to the freebsd slave.  Here's what I'm getting:
>
> On master:
>
> $ yppush ypservers
> Status received from ypxfr on xxxx:
>         Failed - Transfer request refused.
>
> In /var/log/messages on xxxx, the freebsd slave:
>
> Sep 21 18:34:04 xxxx ypserv[4290]: access to ypservers denied -- client
> 111.222.333.444:2746 not privileged
>
> [I've obscured the hostname and ip address here, for insecurity reasons.]
>
> I've not found any clues in the man pages or the Lehey book.
> Before I go source-diving, does anyone happen to know the answer I'm
> looking for here?

Just a guess, FreeBSD's yp system expects you to connect from a secure
port (port number < 1024), see if HP has any flags to force use
of a secure port, (perhaps you aren't running it as root?) or
perhaps FreeBSD has a flag to accept connections from ports > 1024,
but i wouldn't leave than enabled, it's a bad security problem.

-Alfred