Date:      Thu, 2 Mar 2000 13:41:27 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: M$ one-ups UNIX???

On Wednesday,  1 March 2000 at 19:36:31 -0700, Marc Slemko wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Mar 2000, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>
>> * Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@flugsvamp.com> [000301 18:58] wrote:
>>> In article <local.mail.freebsd-chat/20000301184547.X21720@fw.wintelcom.net> you write:
>> I'm still unclear as to what this addresses...
>
> Keep it on the Unix level for an easier example.  Say someone mails
> a 100 meg file to 20 people that have mailboxes on a machine.  So
> there will be 100 megs in each /var/mail/user mailbox.  The idea
> behind this feature is that it could magically detect that and
> combine the bodies to point to a single reference on disk that is
> read-only; if changes are made, then that block or whatever is
> copied.

If it's just for mail, that might be a solution.  We did something
like that at Tandem decades ago: instead of sending the attachment,
send a reference to the attachment.  The first time anybody on a node
reads the attachment, get it.  From then on, retrieve it from the
cache.  Sound familiar?

But I'm pretty sure that's not what they're talking about.  They
specifically refer to OS files.  Maintaining consistency must be a
nightmare.

Greg