Date:      Sun, 13 Sep 1998 15:05:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        "Don O'Neil" <don@whtech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, kde-user-request@lists.netcentral.net
Subject:   Re: KDE Crashing

KDE 1.0 seems to run very nicely for me on 3.0-CURRENT of FreeBSD.
However, I had real problems the moment I turned on Win95 widgets. :)
While I assume this is not intentional, the Win95 widget emulation is
extremely realistic; apparently in some odd combination with the XiG
AccelX product and 3.0-CURRENT of FreeBSD, hangs are frequent.  The moment
I switched back to Motif widget style, all was well.  So if you are using
the Win95 widget style, try turning it off.  I also found that upgrading
my AccelX version helped a lot -- if you are using XiG's product, go to
their web page to make sure you have the current version.

I have modified the CC list to go to -questions instead of -hackers, as
that is probably more appropriate

 On Sat, 12 Sep 1998, Don O'Neil wrote:

> First off I'd like to thank all those who helped me w/ my KDE problems... it
> did indeed turn out to be a path issue and fully resolving the path in the
> .Xsession file cleared it right up.
>
> However, I'm experiencing quite a few crashes and hangs while running KDE...
> I've narrowed it down to being KDE (or something with it) itself, as when I
> run QVWM and all sorts of apps I don't have this problem.
>
> I get core dumps when running the file browser, mail program, and other
> programs, and occasionally all the windows just dissapear. Sometimes the
> whole window manager just freezes....
>
> Are there known compatibility problems/bugs in the 1.0 release of KDE?
>
> My hardware is as follows:
>
> Cyrix M2-200 CPU
> Shuttle Hot 557 MB w/ 512 K Cache
> 64 MB EDO RAM
> NCR 810 SCSI card w/ 3 2 GB HDD's
> Toshiba CDROM,
> Microsoft Intelimouse
> S3 Virge DX 4 MB PCI video
> SB 16
> USR 33.6 Modem
>
> Pretty generic setup. Like I said, everything works great except when I run
> KDE.
>
> Don
> > > Look at ~/.xsession-errors to see why KDE isn't launching.  I would
> > > suspect that /usr/local/bin is not in xdm's path.
> >
> > And the workaround (sorry I forgot to mention this) is to explicitly
> > specify the the path to kwm (ie, /usr/local/bin/kwm) in the script
> > you're using.
> >
> > Please send followups to -questions, where this thread should have
> > started.

  Robert N Watson

Carnegie Mellon University            http://www.cmu.edu/
TIS Labs at Network Associates, Inc.  http://www.tis.com/