Date:      Wed, 30 Sep 1998 13:32:53 +0200
From:      Wolfram Schneider <wosch@panke.de.freebsd.org>
To:        "Patricia J. Nolan" <nolan@twu.edu>, wosch@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: making aliases

On 1998-09-29 08:17:39 +0000, Patricia J. Nolan wrote:
> My name is Pat Nolan. I administer computer-based training, sitting on
> FreeBSD OS for Texas Woman's University.  I would like to know how to
> make aliases for URLs. In other words, I have had a server with
> webct.twu.edu and this has been the standard URL...I have found that
> sometimes people type in twuct.twu.edu and I was wondering how I can
> assign alias URLs to the same IP.  I am new to Unix and want to ensure I
> do this correctly.  I appreciate any help you can provide.

A computer can have serveral host aliases. For example,
the host freefall has the aliases freefall.freebsd.org
and www.freebsd.org.

The aliases are defined locally in /etc/hosts
and globally by your DNS master - the person, who give
you your IP number.

Wolfram

--
Wolfram Schneider <wosch@freebsd.org> http://www.freebsd.org/~w/