Date:      Fri, 23 Oct 1998 13:27:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Larry S. Lile" <lile@stdio.com>
To:        npe@bfc.dk
Cc:        freebsd-tokenring@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IBM Turbo 16/4 (pccard) [Long: state of token ring]

State of the world...

I was working on the IBM driver, but it does not work.  The only function
it lacks is transmit, this will get it to basic function.  I have written,
or more accurately hacked, the generic token ring code into the net/inet
areas and the if_iso88025subr.c.  Some of it works fine some is flaky
but mostly on the transmit side.  Paul Norton is currently looking over
the code to see if he can determine my problem and fix it (Hi Paul :)

I am working on an Olicom driver for the ISA cards (and PCI soon).  I
will be writing the transmit code for that this weekend.  That will allow
the generic routines to finished and fixed up.  As of yet I have not
even attempted transmitting on this card but with the progess I have
made already I am sure it will be near trivial.  In 7 days I have caught
back up to the state of the IBM driver which I have worked on (off and on)
for the past 18 months.

In general, there is currently no source routing involved in either driver
they simply discard the route and turn off the sr bit.  ARP is handled
through the generic ethernet arp routines, with some small modifications.
All AF_UNSPEC packets in the generic code must have an ethernet header
for the time being, so that utilities that do not understand token ring
will still work ie ping, arp ...  These will be fixed later to use
token ring headers as neeed.

Tcpdump has been hacked to understand tokenring generically.  I have
send the patches off to the maintainers twice, but I have had no
response from them.  The hacked tcpdump understands source routing
but also discards the information, should be trivial to add the code
to print the routes but as of yet we cannot use them so it seemed
unneccesary right now.

Information about both drivers, generic FreeBSD token ring support and
the tcpdump patches are available at http://anarchy.stdio.com.

Information about all but the Olicom driver are available at
http://www.jurai.net/~winter/tr/tr.html

Information about the IBM token ring cards is avalable at
http://ppdbooks.pok.ibm.com:80/cgi-bin/bookmgr/bookmgr.cmd/Shelves/bk80bk03

You can reach IBM Publications at 1-800-879-2755 if you would rather
purchase hard copy of the adapter specs.  They also have the general
token ring information.  Most of this information is listed under
the IBM Lan Technical Reference collection.

The IBM pcmcia token ring cards are the same as the ISA shared ram
adapters, they just have the additional registers used for pcmcia.

The biggest problem with the IBM driver right now is transmitting,
occasionally the generic packet wrapper will blow a packet.  I can
fix that as soon as I get the Olicom driver transmitting.  Both the
packet roller and un-roller are grievious hacks based on the etherenet
code so they are really a mess, I will clean it up though.

If someone would get the tcpdump patches to -current I would be
very pleased :)  I don't think the generic token ring code is clean
enough for inclusion yet.

Larry Lile
lile@stdio.com